Freight volumes continue to remain strong across the board. Our customers are forecasting that August volumes may even be higher. In market conditions like this, safety and service must remain our top goals. Our on-time percentage is doing great because of you. On-time service gives us better leverage when negotiating rates, so THANK YOU AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
Stay Safe This Summer – Part 2
To add to last week’s note about the importance of staying hydrated in severe heat or high temps, you need to think of your equipment as well. Summer heat and OTR trucks don’t always mix well. Good pre-trips will help to eliminate downtime.
Keep yourself cool and hydrated as inside cab temperatures will increase quickly on hot days. All Decker trucks are equipped with a Thermoking APU that provides air conditioning. Also, the truck engine has the capability to idle if the ambient temperature is above 80 Degrees allowing the truck air conditioning to operate at Idle.
Truck components effected by heat include:
- Tires – under inflated tires increase the risk of blowout and downtime – do your pre-trips to avoid down time.
- Brakes – can run hotter; always use safe brake operation and use your jake brake.
- APU – will operate more to maintain temperature and battery charging.
- Batteries – don’t like excessive heat same as excessive cold.
- Oil and Coolant – make sure to check these fluids – all Decker trucks have extra fluids provided in the gray tub under the bunk.
- Engine Fan – will operate more while driving and if idling with A/C on – this is normal.
- Belts and hoses – pay attention to these during your pre-trip inspections.
Please stop at a Decker shop or contact Maintenance Support if any questions or issues.
Face Masks At Our Customer Locations And Vendors
There are a wide range of requirements out there when it comes to wearing face masks. Certain customers and vendors have suggested face coverings in the past and some are now requiring them upon entering their facilities or property. This may be enforced by each establishment, such as Love’s Travel Stops, or may just be required by the state or local policy, such as Pilot Flying J.
For your safety and the safety of others and in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19 please consider wearing a face covering when you are out in public and/or are in large crowds. If you choose not to personally wear a face mask, we do ask that you respect other’s opinion on this matter and most importantly abide by the requirements of our loyal customers and vendors. THANK YOU!